Sunday 8 May 2011

About Me and Why I'm Blogging

As the blog's name suggests I am an uncomfortable Libertarian. I am drawn to the basic ideals of Libertarianism and find myself in general agreement with most of the arguments I have read in favour of those ideals. But whenever I have examined those arguments I have never been completely comfortable that they are truly sound. Hence I am an uncomfortable Libertarian.

This blog has really two purposes both of which are entirely selfish. The first is to allow me to learn more about stuff. My hope is that I can use this blog to post my thoughts and have those thoughts critiqued so that I can learn. Perhaps I will become a comfortable Libertarian or be persuaded that another approach is best.

The second purpose is for me to investigate an idea I had. I'm sure it's not an original idea but that is hardly relevant. The idea is for a different approach to taxation and social welfare. In place of the current confused and complicated welfare system there should instead be a state income which is independent of means and private earnings and be related solely to need. And in place of unfair personal taxation there should be a flat income tax rate. I can post thoughts on that topic and results of research here and see what people think.

So the blog is selfish but with any luck some knowledgeable people will pop along from time to time and share their knowledge. And that sharing won't be just with me but with everyone and so maybe others can learn as I learn. Most of what gets written on this blog, then, will be wrong or half-wrong but you can't learn without making mistakes.

Even though the purpose of the blog is for my own benefit I do hope that you, the reader, finds something of interest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment