Wednesday 25 May 2011

Expanding My Remit

Originally, I started this blog to explore and learn about Libertarian ideas. However, I have now decided to expand it to include another topic which is almost entirely unrelated - the Israel/Arab conflict. You see, I'm generally a supporter of Israel over its Arab enemies. It's a democracy with freedoms and they're not. They want to attack it most of the time.

I had always assumed, in my naivety I guess, that most pro-Israeli activists (for want of a better word) whole heartedly supported the need to withdraw from almost all of the West Bank as part of any peace deal. I had also assumed that most Israelis felt the same and further that they wanted this to happen as soon as Palestinians agreed to it.

However, it seems I was wrong. Opinion polls from Israel indicate that only 1 in 2 Israelis would want to withdraw from the West Bank in return for permanent peace, and that's even if they were allowed to keep the major settlement blocs. Moreover, a lot of Israel advocates in the UK also don't really support withdrawing from the West Bank.

So maybe, possibly, I can try and help change some people's opinions on that front. It's at least worth a try. Because the kind of pro-Israel advocacy that tries to defend the status quo is not going to do Israel any good in the long run. Plus, I suspect that there are more than a few delusions flying around.

Well, you'll read what I write and hopefully see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment